All about the Braille Challenge!

Heyy friends! 

So, you might've noticed I havent posted in over a month, but, believe it or not, I am running out of ideas. Let me know what you want me to do, in the comments. So here's some info about the Braille Challenge! 

The Braille Challenge is a nationwide contest for school-age children who read and write Braille. It is divided into five age-groups: Apprentice (First and second grades) Freshman (Third and fourth grades), Sophomore (Fifth and sixth grades), Junior Varsity (Seventh, eighth and ninth grades) and Varsity (Tenth through twelfth grades). 

It consists of four segments (Three for apprentices and freshmans), for the youngest two age groups, there is spelling, proofreading, and reading comprehension. 

For the three older groups, there is speed&accuracy, proofreading, reading comprehension, and charts&graphs. Ms.Keller, you'd approve of speed and accuracy because there is a lot of grammar requirements. LOL 

It is hosted by the Braille Institute of America, with regionals covering all 50 states and Canada. 

Regionals are held between January and March, then, after the contests are scored and the winners are selected (Two from each age group), all the contests are shipped off to the Braille Institute base in California, when more scoring is done. 

Then, the scorers there select the top 10 contestants from each age group, across and entire country, who are then invited to the national braille challenge, a weekend in June full of fun and competition in California. 


I was inspired to write about this due to the fact that I participate in the Braille Challenge almost every year, and almost all those years, have made it into the Finals (I've only won the finals once, though). In fact, I participated in the New England regional Braille Challenge at the Carroll Center For The Blind in Newton, this Saturday, and won first place for my age group (Junior Varsity) and lots of people wanted to know about it. 

You may notice this is indented. Well, I did this as a freewrite for English and my english teacher kinda made us indent. I'm just reusing it. I hope y'all enjoyed this post, and until next time, this is Miss Gevious, signing off!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

🍫Huginormous South African Candy Haul!!🇿🇦🍫🍬

Rambles+Updates+Uploading Schedule🩷

The Lost Prophecy (Warriors Fanfic) Allegiances